Friday, October 17, 2003

Friday, Fryday, Fryeday! No matter how you spell it, it sounds good. Just another day in a week of 7 has become synonymous with the end of the work week, a time to let loose, have a coupla drinks with friends, get away from the primetime brain drain of network T.V and experience a little slice of life on the semi-wild side. Say the word Friday to people and it brings back fond memories of underage drinking, inexperienced fumbling, and puking up three days worth of food onto your shoes and pants and maybe even your friends or your bed. Those were the days when Friday ruled. No other day is as powerfully embedded into the pshyce of the high-school teen then Friday. Oh those were the days indeed.
Friday is the sixth day of the week. The name is derived from the Germanic Frigga the name of the Norse god Odin's wife. Frigga is considered to be the mother of all, and the goddess who presides over marriage. The name means loving or beloved. The corresponding Latin name is Dies Veneris, a day dedicated to Venus, the goddess of love. And on Friday, in high-school, thats what is was all about. Gettin some!
Of course my Friday is Monday, so i must drink draught with the bartender after ladies darts clears out of the rundown and running-downer local bar in my hometown, whilst watching the recap from the days sporting events sometimes catching a live west coast production if we're lucky. Not too bad really! My Friday is Monday, so when I go out on Friday (my Tuesday) everyone else who is out gets to sleep in, not me, I have to go to work the very next day, Saturday (my wednesday). Still with me here? Does the fact that I have to work the next day change the fact that just like some kind-a-freaky ass deminsional jetlag, I know in my heart it's still FRIDAY, but can do very little about the fact that I must work. When we worked it Northern B.C, it was 7 days a week for 2 1/2 months in the woods in the middle of nowhere, 3 1/2 hours from the nearest pavement, let alone a restaurant or a bar, but did that ease the fact that I knew it was Friday and should be doing something about it, no! Thats why Saturdays were Steak & Shrimp for supper, to get ya over the "not doing fuck all fridaynite blues". Ya think I'd love Saturday night's too. I got more tail from the Shrimp on Saturday then I've ever gotten anywhere on Friday. But no.
Friday is King,
Friday is God,
and today is Friday,
so put down your blog
Get out of your basements
and cubicles too
If it's not your weekend
no one knows it but you
Drink lots of Whiskey
or Drink lots of beer,
got 16 long hours
till you'll be back here
Stickin of booze
and hung to the nuts
waiting on VTO
saying "interday sucks"
Have a "short" weekend
in the middle of the week
Enjoy the real Friday
The true king of the week

All Blogged out for now!!



No comments: